A Matter is a case that you are working on for a contact.
Once you add a matter, you shall be able to:
- Create and manage taks to handle the work.
- Define fee structure or specific hourly rates agreed with the contacts if any.
- Send invoices and receive payments from the contacts.
- Share documents related to specific matter with the contacts.
Matter Fee Structures
LawGro supports a wide array of fee structures for a matter. You may choose any one pricing style or a combination of fee structures for a matter.
- Flat Fee - If you have agreed on a flat fee for a matter, check this option and enter the fee agreed on. Typically, lawyers use this for fixed fee deals, where the fee is charged at a flat rate irrespective of efforts involved and possible outcome of the matter.
- Contingency Fee - This option is used in scenarios where the fee is paid by the client only when the matter is closed successfully (typically in litigations where you win the case the favour of your client). The contingency fee can be either % (percentage) of the award or can be an absolute amount in flat terms.
- Max cap of Fee - This option helps to limit the fee to specified amount. This is helpful in many scenarios especially when you are using a combination of fee structures and variable fee structures. If there is no cap agreed, then this option should not be selected and no cap should be specified. The Max cap is applicable only to cap the fee at the upper side (maximum end) and not the lower side (minimum end).
- Hourly rate Group - Hourly rates are one of the most common forms of billing. LawGro supports defining custom hourly rates for various team members working on a matter and groups them together. These custom rates can be labelled as per your choice and then linked to either a matter or a contact based on your agreement. The Hourly rate group which is linked to a contact (Default or Custom), gets carried forward to all matters associated with the contact. You can always link another hourly rate group to a matter or client. If you wish to change any existing entry, you have to do it manually. However, any existing data will not get impacted by this change and it will impact only future entries.
Matter status can be either Open or Closed. If the status is Closed then you can change it to Open by clicking Re Open. If the status is Open then you can change it to Closed by clicking Mark as Closed. Here is the representation of matter status workflow:
- Open Matters - While creating a new Matter in LawGro, the default status is Open. These are any cases you are actively working on.
- Closed Matters - While editing a Matter, you have an option of changing the Matter status to Closed. These are any cases you are no longer working on.
Learn more about Matters
Add a new matter
Assign team members to matter
Add custom fields to matter
Add tag to matters
View invoice raised for a matter
Customize matter number/default options for matter
How do I track invoiced matters?
Close a matter
Re open a matter
Using filters to sort matter